Sunday, August 14, 2011

Real Life

I am overwhelmed.

Sure, school is overwhelming. When is it not? But I'm managing. I have a great team of 2nd grade teachers giving me the best chance possible to succeed. I have a great 2nd grade experience from several years ago (with much of the same curriculum, thank goodness) to give me ideas. But I feel as though the beginning of any school year is overwhelming, and therefore; I am overwhelmed.

My wonderful husband, Chris, has been the biggest help this week. He finished his last final of the semester on Friday, August 5. I started my first day of school on Monday, August 8. This was great timing because he has been home all week to help with around-the-house stuff. He cooked amazing meals all week so I didn't have to worry about being home in time to cook dinner (which I wasn't...any day this week). He's done laundry. He went to the grocery store. He gets the coffee ready for the morning. He takes care of the dog. He's been the perfect "helpmate" this week, and I am deeply grateful for the support he's given me. This was also the worst timing because we didn't get to enjoy any time together with both of us off work/school. Looking ahead at our schedule for the next few years, we don't have any time off at the same time except for 2 weeks at Christmas. Of course we love our families and can't wait to spend time with them at Christmas, but every couple needs at least a few days to themselves to relax. It's a little overwhelming knowing that there isn't an end to this constant busy-ness in sight. We don't know when or if we'll have time off together in the next 3 years. When I let that thought run too far, instant depression sets in.

And then there's overall plans for life. As Chris would say, the alarm on my biological clock went off a while ago. I want to live in a house. This apartment life is for the birds. Just last week, a maintenance man nearly beat our door down at 5:00 AM on a Saturday because of a leak in our toilet. If we get home after 10:00 PM, we don't have a parking space. Do you remember what it is like to walk 1/2 mile just to get to your own home? Pretty sure we should have left that in the dorm era. "Why not just buy a house?" you might ask. Well, we're not really sure where we'll be in 3 years. The housing market is so rough right now, we don't want to buy a house and then not be able to sell it later. So the house must wait. As must babies. But that's a whole 'nother story.

So that's what's going on in my life. I am overwhelmed with new job, new city, living situations, adjusting to husband in grad school, new church hunt, central time zone, cars with leaks, new dog, no caffeine-free mountain dew, accidentally driving through Titans traffic, picking new insurance, etc.

If you see me crying in my car, it's probably one of these things.

It's a great thing that we have Jesus to make all this just a little more bearable.
"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." (Romans 8:37)


No comments:

Post a Comment