Saturday, October 20, 2012

Losing the Waiting Game

I'm blogging during the Tennessee-Alabama game. Things are not going well. But to be fair, the only teams we have lost to are top ten teams. Tough break when your conferences is exclusively top ten teams.

I could draw a giant metaphor between my life and the Tennessee football team right now, but I won't. I'm not sure if my readers have crossover interests between football and emotional things. I'm not sure I have readers.

I'll just say that I'm up against a lot right now.

I've been playing the Waiting Game for quite a while now, and I'm pretty sure I'm losing. I didn't realize you could lose the Waiting Game until now, but you can. My patience is very short. I've waited, and it should be my turn now. But it's not.

What makes this ridiculous is that I actually know when the Waiting Game will be over, and I'm still losing. ?!  Chris will graduate in 2014. Then we'll be FREEEeeeEEE!  (That's how you type words that you sing, right?) I should start a countdown. Every time that number gets smaller, I can metaphorically punch the Waiting Game in the face. (I told you...my patience is very thin.)

So things are not great, but just like how those refs gave Tennessee a huuuuge break by calling back a Bama touchdown, there have been some wins recently. (Sorry, I made the metaphor. You'll have to learn about football now.) Chris' summer semester will be starting a week later in 2013, so we get 4 WHOLE DAYS between my school ending and his beginning. Vay-cay!

We have had the chance to go to Knoxville a few times this fall. Our friends Adam and Megan got married last weekend, and it was a gorgeous fall wedding!


My roommates from college (and beyond) had a Nashville reunion weekend! We shopped, ate good food, and saw a movie about a college a capella group. Sounds about right.

Catherine left too early for pictures. Boo vet school.
So I'm trying to focus on those small victories and forget about the big picture for a while. Random cheesecakes delivered to my door could help. Just sayin.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, you do have at least one reader... at least occasionally anyway :)

    I saw this and decided to offer up some encouragement. Playing the waiting game usually sucks, and that is putting it mildly. It seems like we all are waiting for something...

    I can remember waiting a lot. Waiting for Junior High, then High School after that. Waiting until I was finally on varsity in football and getting my chance. Waiting to be a senior. Waiting to start college, get married, and start my career.

    Somewhere along the line, God taught me something pretty amazing. Mainly, that I was never really waiting at all.

    Proverbs 3:6 says:

    "In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."

    Proverbs 20:24 says:

    "A man’s steps are from the LORD; how then can man understand his way?"

    And Jeremiah 29:11 says:

    "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."


    Even when the path feels crooked and broken; even when it seems like we are wandering in the wilderness of life; God is still working. His hand is moving and guiding your steps, and He has you exactly where you are supposed to be right now.

    I have been in some crummy situations. Crappy jobs, and financial hardship. What I had missed, is that God had a purpose for those situations even though I couldn't see it.

    The big life lesson I learned? If I will learn to let go of the future, then I get to see all the little things God is doing in the present.

    Paul learned the hard way that God is present in every circumstance. Philippians 4:13 may be popular... but it is the two verses leading up to that one are what give it weight:

    "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Josh!! I read all of Philippians 4 today, and it's definitely speaking to our situation right now. Miss you guys a lot!

      Delete