Monday, March 3, 2014

Bed Rest to Baby

Today, I am 39 weeks pregnant. That is a long time.

First, thank you to everyone who prayed for us over the weekend. Chris was able to spend the entire weekend in Knoxville with Mark for his wedding. It was tough for Chris to be gone with his daughter due any day, so we're really happy that Caroline stayed put through the weekend. If you know Chris and Mark, you know this is a big deal. Since they can't legally marry each other, they got the next best thing. They are each the signed witness on each other's marriage licenses. Maybe continue to pray for Amanda and me as we share our husbands for the rest of our lives.


Back to baby.

I'm really glad to be almost done with pregnancy. Don't get me wrong--I have really enjoyed being pregnant. I have loved every kick and hiccup and the anticipation of what she'll look like. But it has been a tough road. I've been on nausea medicine for 9 months. I've had swollen sinuses for months. I got costochondritis in my ribs. And a couple of weeks ago, I found out I had pre-eclampsia. Fortunately, it has been very mild and manageable with bed rest. My feet and ankles, which used to resemble elephant feet, are completely back to normal since I've been on bed rest. More importantly, my blood pressure is back to normal. I'm very glad I've been able to stay home for the past week, mostly thanks to my incredible coworkers. It's so nice to know that my kids at school are in great hands even when I'm not there.

The wait for Caroline is almost over. To prevent any possible complications from the pre-eclampsia, we will be inducing this week. I'm a huge ball of nerves and excitement. I can't wait to snuggle my baby! I spent this morning making little headbands for her. These were some old shirts (from high school....) that I'm pretty sure I won't fit in again, so I cut them, hot glued them, and tied them to make these soft little headbands. If they actually work, I might make some more!


I must say...I noticed this phenomenon when Chris and I were engaged. Everyone (including strangers) felt the need to tell us all the horror stories of things that happened at their weddings. I'm not sure what purpose it served, except to stress us out. And sure, Chris was in a car accident the day before our wedding, which totaled the best man's (see Mark above) car. I get it that things go wrong, everything turned out okay anyway, and you might think that's encouraging to a couple about to host their wedding. But it's not. This same phenomenon has reared its head again since I've been pregnant. Everyone wants to share their horror stories from labor or tell me how I'll never sleep again. NOT ENCOURAGING. So here's what I need as we prepare to welcome our baby girl this week:

  • What were the special moments you remember from labor and delivery?
  • How did having a baby change your life in a good way?
  • What pleasantly surprised you?
Okay, GO! The next time you hear from me, we will be introducing you to our daughter Lion King style. This is how I will be greeting all of you for the next few weeks:




3 comments:

  1. Being induced is the prefect way to go! That is what they did to me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I am excited you will finally be meeting your little blessing this week. Labor and delivery does take a little work on your part, lol, but the end result is so worth it. Just get your focal point, lean on Chris, and the nurses/drs will do the rest. Believe me, they guide you through the whole process and you will be just fine. My special moments were those who encouraged me and then being told we were going to delivery, for it was then I knew I would see my babies and hold them. Having a child is life changing in itself, but I have learned patience. You and Chris have a bond, but a child just enables you both to extend your love to
    her. What has pleasantly surprised me (and this is a long way off for you) is how my children have grown up to be such loving and kindhearted adults... who have solid Christian morals and values. I know we must have done something right along the years. Just take the experience of having a child all in because it will all be over so quickly. The baby girl you will soon see is God's sweetness miracle and blessing!!!! Good luck and I anxiously await seeing her precious pictures. Love, Jolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becoming a Mommy is the best thing in the world! It really is something you cant explain.. It's just wonderful! Giving birth was a great experience. I was not induced but after hearing a lot of different birth stories, I truly believe each one is perfect. The nurses and doctor's will make you feel comfortable and are just as excited as you to bring a new life into the world. Enjoy every minute! Once you see your daughter, everything changes for the better! Of course there are rough, tiresome days, but when your child smiles at you or does a new "first" those exhausting times are quickly forgotten! You will be a great Mommy! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete