Monday, July 25, 2011

I'm on Steroids

Wow... Sorry for taking so long to update. I've been busy trying not to die. And setting up my new classroom, which is also a little like dying. Here's the story...

Never Take Medicine You Are Allergic To
But really. Don't.

You may remember from my last post that I had a kidney infection a few weeks ago. I thought going to the doctor, getting my kidney shot, and taking antibiotics was the end of the story. It wasn't. Here's a part of the story I didn't think was important to tell last time:

Doctor: "Okay, we've got the solution. Are you allergic to sulfa-based drugs?"
Me: "I don't know. I've never had them. Probably not. I'm only allergic to bandaids*."
Doctor: "Alright. We'll give them a try."
   *Long story.

Well, I took my sulfa-based antibiotics for a full week. I felt pretty crummy the whole time, but I just assumed that was because of the kidney infection. Then this happened:
My leg while driving down the road. Super safe photography.
Tiny red dots appeared all over my legs. Just legs at first. Throughout the day, I sent picture texts of my legs to Chris as any good, non-disgusting wife should. I had to go to the doctor anyway that day for a re-do TB test (another long story), so I had them check it out. And sure enough, I am now a card carrying member of the Sulfa Allergy Club. She told me to take a little benadryl and life would be fine. My first day of work with my new co-workers was the next day, so I was pretty eager to make the bumps go away ASAP. One benadryl pill later, I was in a barely-breathing, no-idea-who-I-was coma. Chris and I decided that benadryl would not be a good choice for my first day of work. I went to bed and prayed the allergy would go away.

The next morning, it got bigger. My entire body was covered in little red bumps. I'm talking fingers and toes, too. Not a good way to start the 1st day on the job. Mad face all around. I called the doctor, explained that I was developing full blown leprosy, and she prescribed steroids. 


Steroids. Are. Awesome.


I took 6 that night, and the next morning, everything was gone! Lesson learned. No more sulfa drugs. And now, I will hold of you legally responsible for notifying medical personnel should I ever be unconscious and they try to give me sulfa.

2nd Grade Adventures
I've been working super hard to get my classroom set up. That may have to be another blog post, because let's face it...my classroom is awesome. Most of the work has been jumping through the red tape in the hiring process. No need to vent about specifics, but let's have one more mad face to get it out. I really am so grateful to have a job. God is awesome.
 

As with any teacher, I am spending an extraordinary amount of my own money to furnish my classroom. I am heavily relying on donations to make it through these first few months. Big thanks to my mom and her friends for loaning this awesome classroom mat. I'm missing the letter L, which is ironic because the letter L is the only portion of my wall alphabet I can find. Thank you also to the O'Briens and Simpsons for helping me stock my classroom library with adorable books. If you feel like helping a poor teacher make her classroom awesome, here are a few things I still need:
  • Large pillows. Like dorm-style, over-stuffed pillows.
  • Bean bags.
  • More books! (Small chapter books, little story books, etc.)
  • File folders.
  • Office supplies: stapler, adult scissors, pens, tape.
  • Shelves. Of any kind. Old and crumbly are totally cool.
  • Small tables. End tables, old coffee tables, etc.
  • A super huge rug so I can return the one pictured above.

Let's See What's in My Cell Phone's Picture Album
My apartment complex painted all the decks a few weeks ago. I wish they had let me know which day they could be found creepily climbing on my 3rd story deck. Finding the shadow of a man outside my door is a little unnerving.

Menchies spoons make adorable kitchen decorations.

We found this book at the Thrift Store in French Camp, MS. Mrs. O'B had loaned it to someone who apparently donated it to the thrift store. Adam, Kerry, Heather, and Brianna are Chris' cousins. It now proudly displays the last name Chris gave me as it sits in my classroom.
I found this when I opened my computer one morning last week. Ten points if you get the quote. 

My grandmother once lamented that they don't sell pure lard anymore, and pure lard was the best thing to cook with. I am happy to report that Kroger in Nashville still sells pure lard. Yum.


That's about all for now. This is my last week of summer before school starts next Tuesday. I'll be spending the week finishing my classroom, cooking awesome meals while I still have time, and sleeping in til 8:00!

No comments:

Post a Comment