Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Waiting Place

The Waiting Place…
…for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go
or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or waiting around for a Yes or No
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting.
Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting.

This is from Dr. Seuss' Oh, The Places You'll Go!. Chris and I listened to a podcast today in which my pastor shared this, and we realized this perfectly describes our life right now. And pretty much all of our expected 2012.

I feel like there are so many things that I'm waiting for, and I can't do anything about them. I'm waiting for Chris to graduate Physical Therapy school (2014). I'm waiting until we have enough money to buy a house. I'm waiting to have children. I'm waiting for summer break. All of life seems to be in a holding pattern. 

But God had been working in our hearts even before Jason's awesome sermon reminded me that people (the Jews) have waited much longer (400 years) for things much more important (salvation). Our New Year's resolution is to truly ENJOY this time in our lives. The crazy funny things that happen when you live in an apartment. (Conversations heard through walls can be hilarious.) All the things we won't be able to do once we have kids. We even made an S-CWOK Bucket List. (The "S" stands for straight. High-fives to everyone who figures out the rest.) I realized there are so many things I still want to do that will be much harder later in life. It kind of sucks that Chris has 2 1/2 years of grad school left, but at least he gets a month off at Christmas time while he's in school. He will be lucky to get 3 days off once he's a physical therapist. 

So no more being sad that we have to wait on everything. We're being excited that we're young, free, eating Ramen noodles for dinner, and can play Arkham City for 6 hours a day if we Chris wants to. 

I will most likely need everyone to hold me accountable to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment