Thursday, May 5, 2011

Nostalgia


I have been very nostalgic these past few weeks. Leaving Knoxville feels like leaving my first real home. Back in December, Chris and I started a list of places we wanted to go to one more time before moving away. This mainly included places that were important to us as a couple (Apple Barn, The Cupcakery) or famous Knoxville-esque places (Chesapeake's, Brazeiros). The list has steadily grown, but we've managed to cross off almost all of them. Tonight, we shared our favorite Stefano's pizza for the last time. When Chris lived at the BCM, we went to Stefano's after every TNT and ordered a whole wheat, white sauce, chicken and bacon pizza. So good.

I'm going to miss our cute little traditions that we began when we barely knew each other. Many of these have carried over into our married life, and I hope we can continue them with our own children. (The kids are going to LOVE Taco Bell date night.)

By the way, our first date was to Sunspot. I'm still waiting to cross that last one off the list, Chris...




Warning: The following is a small peak into Laura's soul. Turn around if repulsed by emotions.
This past week has been a really hard week. No real reason, either. Maybe it's all the upcoming changes. Maybe the knowledge that Chris will be gone all next week--our first time apart since being married. Maybe it's the hormones. Either way, I have been mopey and tired and prone to cry at Geico commercials.

This morning on the way to work, I heard Casting Crown's East to West. This verse pretty much summed up my life recently:

I start the day, the war begins
Endless reminding of my sin
Time and time again
Your Truth is drowned out
By the storm I'm in


The Truth part is the kicker. I don't know if anyone else struggles with this, but I feel like I am constantly bombarded with worrisome thoughts and anxieties about what could happen. When nostalgia kicks in, like it has with the big move to Nashville, living in the past (a BIG struggle of mine) also kicks in. Then I worry about what did happen and what will happen because of it. These scenes are played out in my dreams. So I very much identify with Casting Crown's idea that waking up feels like starting the war all over again.

My prayer is that God will make his Truth louder than the lies. That I will only dwell on what God has shown me to be real. I am a careful planner, but I don't want to live too far in the future that it consumes me. "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:34) As I said earlier, constantly thinking about the past is probably one of my greatest sins. Well, 2007 called and would like their memories back. "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past." (Isaiah 43:18) I very much pray that God will eliminate these anxieties for both events that have already happened and events that have yet to happen. And because I always wish people did this more: I ask that you pray for these things for me too. "Carry each others' burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Galatians 6:2)


Alright, enough soul sharing. Back to the daily grind.

Adventures in Cooking: I have been eating whole wheat bagels with peanut butter every morning for breakfast lately. You may ask, "Why, Laura? Why are you eating foods that do not contain sugar or artificial flavorings? That seems so unlike you." Well--my doctor banned me from poptarts. That's right. Apparently, eating a poptart every day for 2 years will give you a sugar rush that results in diabetes-like symptoms. Who knew?


You Know Your Hair is Too Long If...: You buy dry shampoo to avoid the 2+ hours it takes to wash, comb, dry, and style hair that is long enough to tuck into your belt.
Greatest invention ever.

Person I'm Missing Today: My dad and his random phone calls when he's driving.
The day before my wedding.
Bible Verse that Rocks Today:
Psalm 103:12 "As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us."

No comments:

Post a Comment