Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Puppy Blog

We got a puppy dog!

 
This is Itchy. (Ten points if you know where that name came from.) I've always wanted a wiener dog. No real, heart-warming reason other than I think they're hilarious. Long torso, short legs--it's me in dog form! I don't know anything about dogs.

Thankfully, Catherine and I worked out a deal a while back. She would help me raise my pets if I would help her raise her children. Yep, I straight up stole this picture from her facebook. She's doing something to a cat, which proves she really is in vet school. So soon-to-be Dr. Moe has been on speed dial lately.


Here's what I've learned in my 5 days of dog ownership:


If you rescue a dog from the Williamson County Animal Shelter, they will give you the following for free:
  • Dog bed
  • Harness
  • 3 leashes
  • Bag of food
  • Toys
The dog will cost you $65. Not bad for a pureblood dachshund. (I haven't had to look up how to spell dachshund every time for the past 5 days......)


Itchy is really cuddly. This was the day we brought him home from the pound. He was pooped.
Itchy's Story:
Itchy and his sister lived together with an old lady. She tripped over them and broke her knee and hip, so they had to go. The first day at the pound, his sister was adopted. He's been pretty depressed ever since. I don't think he slept the entire time he was there because that's all he did from the moment we got in the car to go home.




This was Itchy's bear that the animal shelter gave us. He slept with it, played with it, fetched it...until he decided it was time for the squeaker to die. If you look by the bear's leg, you can see the squeaker. Itchy did not rest until the squeaker was out. The bear is now stuffing-free, but apparently still cuddle-able.







My favorite thing about Itchy is that his dinosaur legs are so short that when he lays on his side, his top two legs don't touch the ground. He reminds us of kids when they pull their arms inside their shirts and just let their hands hang out. That's pretty much Itchy's life.







Okay, enough about the wiener dog. I'm sure we'll have more stories in the coming years. Apparently wiener dogs live for like 18 years. Definitely didn't know that...


Today was a big day for Chris and I. 

Chris started physical therapy school. He really likes it so far. He says they just had orientation and syllabus reading today, so I'm not really sure what he's been studying for the past 3 hours...

I had 2 interviews today at elementary schools in Rutherford County. I have a few more tomorrow. I'm very thankful for all the prayers and ask that you continue praying that God will open the right job for me. I can't wait to love on some new kids somewhere.


I got a Nashville library card today. When I was in high school, I went to the library all the time. I actually tried to get a library card in Knoxville one time, but they wouldn't take any of the proof of residency documents I brought with me, including a signed form from my dorm on UT's campus. I held a grudge about that for the next seven years...because I'm a grudge-holder. (Working on getting better at that...) The Nashville Public Library gave me a card on the first try, so we're friends for now. I got A Tale of Two Cities, because I am intimidated by the smart-looking librarians and feel embarrassed getting the trashy cheap novels that I really want to read by the pool. I think I saw a self-checkout device, though, so I'm going to look into that next time.


Okay before I go, one more mention of the puppy:
Chris and I apologize to Leslie and Terry for when our wiener dog attacked your pit bull mix. We are enrolling him in obedience classes at the end of June. We hope Tyson has recovered.

No comments:

Post a Comment